American Spy: My Secret History in the Cia, Watergate and Beyond (Hardcover)
Startling revelations from the OSS, the CIA, and the Nixon White house
Think you know everything there is to know about the OSS, the Cold War, the CIA, and Watergate? Think again. In American Spy, one of the key figures in postwar international and political espionage tells all. Former OSS and CIA operative and White House staffer E. Howard Hunt takes you into the covert designs of Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon:
- His involvement in the CIA coup in Guatemala in 1954, the Bay of Pigs invasion, and more
- His work with CIA officials such as Allen Dulles and Richard Helms
His friendship with William F. Buckley Jr., whom Hunt brought into the CIA
- The amazing steps the CIA took to manipulate the media in America and abroad
- The motives behind the break-in at Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist's office
- Why the White House ""plumbers"" were formed and what they accomplished
- The truth behind Operation Gemstone, a series of planned black ops activities against Nixon's political enemies
- A minute-by-minute account of the Watergate break-in
- Previously unreleased details of the post-Watergate cover-up
Complete with documentation from audiotape transcripts, handwritten notes, and official documents, American Spy is must reading for anyone who is fascinated by real-life spy tales, high-stakes politics, and, of course, Watergate.
About the Author
White House "plumber" E. HOWARD HUNT served as a covert operative for the CIA from 1950 until the 1970s, and participated in many of the agency's most secret missions, both abroad and in the United States. He is also the author of more than seventy spy novels. GREG AUNAPU is a nationally respected journalist, who worked as a freelancer for Time and People magazines for ten years, and has reported for many national news organizations. He is coauthor of two previous books, most recently, "Without a Trace."