Writing Picture Books Revised and Expanded Edition: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication (Paperback)
Master the Art of Writing Enthralling Tales for the Youngest pre-and emerging readers Fully updated and thoroughly revised, Writing Picture Books Revised and Expanded Edition is the go-to resource for writers crafting stories for children ages two to eight. You'll learn the unique set of skills it takes to bring your story to life by using tightly focused text and leaving room for the illustrator to be creative. Award-winning author Ann Whitford Paul helps you develop the skills you need by walking you through techniques and exercises specifically for picture book writers. You'll find: - Instruction on generating ideas, creating characters, point-of-view, beginnings and endings, plotting, word count, rhyme, and more
- Unique methods for using poetic techniques to enrich your writing
- Hands-on revision exercises (get out your scissors, tape, and highlighters) to help identify problems and improve your picture book manuscripts
- Updated tips for researching the changing picture book market, approaching publishers, working with an agent, and developing a platform
- All new quizzes and examples from picture books throughout
- New chapters cover issues such as page turns, agents, and self-publishing Whether you're just starting out as a picture book writer or have tried unsuccessfully to get your work published, Writing Picture Books Revised and Expanded Edition is just what you need to craft picture books that will appeal to young children and parents, and agents and editors.